And the paths diverged
28th August 2005
Have been lazy and have not written for ages. This would probably be my last blog in UK, I think.
FLATMATES
Sara just moved out yesterday. She was incredibly organised and the night beofre moving, she laid out all her boxes and luggage along our corridor. The sight was a funny one. Because they were all in a line, it was as if her belongings were all in a queue and ready to move out of the flat by themselves. Because Sara only hired a van driver, she needed to load the things onto the van herself. So, I helped her and boy, was it hard work! Five floors up and down. I think I must have walked those flights of stairs 6 times. Sara must have done more.
As I saw the white van move away, I was thinking, “What are the chances of us meeting again?” Very slim, to say the least.
Sara’s looking out for a screenwriting job. In the meantime, she will temp at whatever jobs she can find, until she lands the job she has been dreaming of. If I see Sara Toyn in the credits of some huge UK blockbuster some day, I can claim that she has lived next to me before! What I will remember of her will be the times when she talked to herself. Yes, she talks to herself all the time. Gabriel and I used to discuss if this was normal but regardless, we got used to it.
So, there you go. Out of the five of the original flatmates, there’s only one left. Me. There are new ones, Athena and Sangu (I think that’s his name). But somehow, it feels different.
Gabriel has won a scholarship with the Uni of Westmister and will remain here for the next three years to do his PHD. He is really smart and works hard. If anyone deserves the scholarship, it would be him. The image I remember of him would be him carrying a huge pile of books from the library in the FIRST week of school term.
I don’t really know if Adela, his girlfriend, is happy or not, She has made lots of sacrifices to come to UK to be with him. Now, she has to make even more sacrifices. I wish them well.
Giva has moved out rather suddenly. He will be bound for Mexico and the US soon because he has received funding for some arts project. He told me that he might apply to do a PHD too, so that he can teach, and at the same time continue his arts projects. My memory of him would be him, wrapped in just a towel, coming into the kitchen AND complain that it was COLD.
CROSSING PATHS
There have been times when I missed Singapore and wanted to go home. Those were lonely moments when my friends in UK have left for home/gone for holidays and when my friends in Singapore seemed so far away.
Now that I am about to return home in a month’s time, I am beginning to miss this place. The dirty streets, the ruckus on weekend nights, the unpredictable weather... Doubtlessly of course, I will definitely miss the friends that I have made as well. Some, I am glad that I have got to know well. Some, I wish I had met them earlier so that I could spend more time with them. Some, I don’t think I'll ever understand. Some, I hope to see again someday. Some, I know for sure that I would never have to chance to meet again. Truth is, it is difficult to close a chapter and move on. But well, I guess I’m returning to where belong. London 2004/5 will remain the longest and the most memorable transit in my life.
HEN PARTY
My course mate Emma will be getting married next month, in South Africa! Having seen her at her lowest point at the end of last year, it’s wonderful to see her ready make a such a joyous change in her life. She invited Hanako and I to her hen party. It’s basically a girls’ night out to celebrate the last days of her”singlehood”. Unlike Singapore where things are generally a little milder, girls here seem to like to celebrate and announce to the world that there are getting married.
First, a limousine came to pick up the girls. It’s a long, sleek, black one which you see in movies. Because Hanako and I did not want to pay for the limousine (because it was 30 pounds per person), we did not join the ride. I found this funny because while Emma and the girls were in a limousine enjoying the wine, Hanako and I were on a bus, making our way to the destination!
Strangely enough, Hanako arrived at the restaurant first. I think they went for a ride around town. There were just six of us. Emma, her cousin Louise, her friends, Jessica, Helen, Hanako and I. But my, I think we made so much noise I was quite glad we were given a table in the corner. But the food was great. Chinese food. Lots of deep fried stuff but wonderfully familiar to me.
Then we proceeded to a club for drinks. Everything there was just noisy and smoky and I emerged with a sore throat because I had to shout to get myself heard. It’s worse than teaching for a whole day. Before Hanako and I left the group (because the limousine was picking them up and we had to take the bus again!), I hugged Emma really tight, gave her a kiss on the cheek and told her “this is probably the last time we meet. All the best to you and Sam”. I felt a little lump in my throat. What I will remember of her would be she calling me by both my first name and surname. She would go, “Mei Chang!”. I hope Emma’s marriage will be drastically different from her parents and be blessed with lots and lots of happiness.
AND TODAY
The hen party was last night. Today seemed like a Singapore Day to me. First, my mum called. Then my friend called. And later, I went out with Meow Na, the other Singaporean girl here. For me, it’s like a prelude to what is to come. Everything is feeling a little more Singaporean today. My friend commented that I sounded happy. Of course I was -- home just seems nearer now.
Have been lazy and have not written for ages. This would probably be my last blog in UK, I think.
FLATMATES
Sara just moved out yesterday. She was incredibly organised and the night beofre moving, she laid out all her boxes and luggage along our corridor. The sight was a funny one. Because they were all in a line, it was as if her belongings were all in a queue and ready to move out of the flat by themselves. Because Sara only hired a van driver, she needed to load the things onto the van herself. So, I helped her and boy, was it hard work! Five floors up and down. I think I must have walked those flights of stairs 6 times. Sara must have done more.
As I saw the white van move away, I was thinking, “What are the chances of us meeting again?” Very slim, to say the least.
Sara’s looking out for a screenwriting job. In the meantime, she will temp at whatever jobs she can find, until she lands the job she has been dreaming of. If I see Sara Toyn in the credits of some huge UK blockbuster some day, I can claim that she has lived next to me before! What I will remember of her will be the times when she talked to herself. Yes, she talks to herself all the time. Gabriel and I used to discuss if this was normal but regardless, we got used to it.
So, there you go. Out of the five of the original flatmates, there’s only one left. Me. There are new ones, Athena and Sangu (I think that’s his name). But somehow, it feels different.
Gabriel has won a scholarship with the Uni of Westmister and will remain here for the next three years to do his PHD. He is really smart and works hard. If anyone deserves the scholarship, it would be him. The image I remember of him would be him carrying a huge pile of books from the library in the FIRST week of school term.
I don’t really know if Adela, his girlfriend, is happy or not, She has made lots of sacrifices to come to UK to be with him. Now, she has to make even more sacrifices. I wish them well.
Giva has moved out rather suddenly. He will be bound for Mexico and the US soon because he has received funding for some arts project. He told me that he might apply to do a PHD too, so that he can teach, and at the same time continue his arts projects. My memory of him would be him, wrapped in just a towel, coming into the kitchen AND complain that it was COLD.
CROSSING PATHS
There have been times when I missed Singapore and wanted to go home. Those were lonely moments when my friends in UK have left for home/gone for holidays and when my friends in Singapore seemed so far away.
Now that I am about to return home in a month’s time, I am beginning to miss this place. The dirty streets, the ruckus on weekend nights, the unpredictable weather... Doubtlessly of course, I will definitely miss the friends that I have made as well. Some, I am glad that I have got to know well. Some, I wish I had met them earlier so that I could spend more time with them. Some, I don’t think I'll ever understand. Some, I hope to see again someday. Some, I know for sure that I would never have to chance to meet again. Truth is, it is difficult to close a chapter and move on. But well, I guess I’m returning to where belong. London 2004/5 will remain the longest and the most memorable transit in my life.
HEN PARTY
My course mate Emma will be getting married next month, in South Africa! Having seen her at her lowest point at the end of last year, it’s wonderful to see her ready make a such a joyous change in her life. She invited Hanako and I to her hen party. It’s basically a girls’ night out to celebrate the last days of her”singlehood”. Unlike Singapore where things are generally a little milder, girls here seem to like to celebrate and announce to the world that there are getting married.
First, a limousine came to pick up the girls. It’s a long, sleek, black one which you see in movies. Because Hanako and I did not want to pay for the limousine (because it was 30 pounds per person), we did not join the ride. I found this funny because while Emma and the girls were in a limousine enjoying the wine, Hanako and I were on a bus, making our way to the destination!
Strangely enough, Hanako arrived at the restaurant first. I think they went for a ride around town. There were just six of us. Emma, her cousin Louise, her friends, Jessica, Helen, Hanako and I. But my, I think we made so much noise I was quite glad we were given a table in the corner. But the food was great. Chinese food. Lots of deep fried stuff but wonderfully familiar to me.
Then we proceeded to a club for drinks. Everything there was just noisy and smoky and I emerged with a sore throat because I had to shout to get myself heard. It’s worse than teaching for a whole day. Before Hanako and I left the group (because the limousine was picking them up and we had to take the bus again!), I hugged Emma really tight, gave her a kiss on the cheek and told her “this is probably the last time we meet. All the best to you and Sam”. I felt a little lump in my throat. What I will remember of her would be she calling me by both my first name and surname. She would go, “Mei Chang!”. I hope Emma’s marriage will be drastically different from her parents and be blessed with lots and lots of happiness.
AND TODAY
The hen party was last night. Today seemed like a Singapore Day to me. First, my mum called. Then my friend called. And later, I went out with Meow Na, the other Singaporean girl here. For me, it’s like a prelude to what is to come. Everything is feeling a little more Singaporean today. My friend commented that I sounded happy. Of course I was -- home just seems nearer now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home