Saturday, June 25, 2005

More summer heat!

23rd June 2005

HEAT WAVE
Summer is finally here and London is now currently being hit by a heat wave. Although the highest is a very familiar 33 degree Celsius, the heat is more searing and intense. There is only one thing I like. The sun rises at 4.30am and sets at 10.30pm. Other than that, I have decided that winter is my kind of season. Oh dear, I’ll miss winter when I return to Singapore.


SMOG ALERT

There was a smog alert today. People with asthma and other breathing problems were warned to stay out of the city area. The combination of high pollution and high temperature seems to be creating harmful fumes. This city is just not prepared for warm weather. But it makes sense. For one month of hot temperatures and 11 months of cool/cold weather, it is not worth it to make changes. So, while heaters and radiators are a must, air-conditioners seem to something people can do without. As a true-blue Singaporean raised on an air-conditioned island, this heat is too much for me.


THE BUS
There is no air-conditioning in buses. After walking in the scorching sun, I have been conditioned (pun intended) to expect air-conditioning when I board the bus.

No, no, no, no, no. no.

I’d be better off walking in the streets. The buses have horizontal windows at the top of the seats. Basically, you pull the plastic panes inwards such that there is a little gap, just like how you open a rubbish chute. But the gap is just a miserable 5cm. Passengers board the bus medium-rare, they alight extremely well-done.


THE TUBE
You know how you can cook chicken by wrapping it in foil and putting it in the ground? Well, being in that underground station, you can’t help feeling like that chicken. Enough said.



THE LIBRARY
I thought they would want to keep the computers and equipment cool (where on earth do I get the idea that computers need to be cool?).

No, no, no, no, no. no.

As I wipe my perspiration with tissue, I can feel steam coming off me. And the strange thing is, the windows in the room open to a maximum of 5cm too!


THE ROAD
There was a traffic jam on one of the roads today because the tarmac melted!


OIL, PERSPIRATION AND SHINE
I remember writing how I disliked the petroleum jelly lip balm in winter because it made me look shiny and oily. Now that I have gotten used to it, I have to grapple with perspiration (boy, does this bring back memories of Singapore), oil, shine and sunscreen.

Shops are stocking up on sunscreen now because people here tend to burn easily and the sun rays are strong. So, I do what the locals do. Slap on sunscreen. Now, I am not only oily, I am hot and sticky too.

I wasted £3 on a sunscreen for my lips today. It made my lips all white! Maybe I should keep it for a fancy-dress party. Or just in case it comes into fashion…


SPAGHETTI STRAPS and SINGLETS
Although I wear sleeveless blouses in Singapore, I stop short of singlets and spaghetti straps when I go out. My arms are just not terribly toned. But here, I have started wearing singlets out. Aside from airing as much as I could in this stifling heat, there are two other important reasons why I’m wearing less.

First, everyone, whether they are a size 6 or a size 20, wears whatever they want. Spaghetti straps, singlets, low back, halter-neck… Not only are they of different colours, they are found on different shapes and sizes too! The beauty is, nobody seems to give a hoot if your generous belly is showing or that your underarms have a life of their own, jiggling to their own rhythm. Maybe it is the hard attitude of the people here. They are too absorbed in their own world to bother about yours. So, people don’t really care, and they don’t stare. Whatever it is, I’m less self-conscious.


Second, Garfield is right. If you want to look thin, stand next to someone fatter. There are many overweight people here. Standing next to them, my flabby arms almost seem sculpted and defined!


WALKING LOBSTERS
I have seen quite a few burnt lobsters walking around and I think they are quite proud of their new tans. Unlike me, people LURVVVVE the sun. Alfreso cafes, pubs, parks, the beach… the people are out in full force. In fact, it is quite common to see topless men walking around. Make that burnt, red, topless men.

As it is, I am already cooked in the buses, I don’t want to be red at the same time.


FOOD
I would love a bowl of ice-kachang now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home