Sunday, March 13, 2005

Sarcastic librarians and helpless volunteers

12th March 2005


SARCASTIC LIBRARIANS AND HELPLESS VOLUNTEERS
Had a frustrating morning volunteering at Lewisham library. There were three volunteers (Sophie, Tina and me). And there were at least 12 kids including siblings. The three of us were all tired and irritated at the end of the session.

LIBRARIAN AT THE LEWISHAM LIBRARY
For starters, a group of the boys were running around the library, creating a ruckus. Inevitably, the librarian complained to us, asking us to keep them in check. The problem is, she sounded extremely unfriendly. If this is a typical librarian, no wonder the kids do not like reading. (This is an utterly illogical line of reasoning, but I am angry. So I have no sense of judgement to speak of here. J )

Librarian to Sophie and me: I don’t know what the problem here is. Maybe there are too few volunteers.

Me: Yes, have already informed Jill (the co-ordinator of the programme) about it. There would be two new volunteers next term.

Librarian
: I understand that there would be some noise, but they really should not be running about.

I was really thinking: Yes. We did. Unfortunately, you are not the one working with 12 kids who refuse to read. Well, looks like YOU are in charge. And if YOU are in charge, you could perhaps tell them what a library is and what people do inside.
Anyway, Sophie and I nodded.

Librarian: So, what are you going to do?

I was really thinking: How tactless and rude! If I knew, they would not be running about, would they???? so, I did not pretend to be the expert.

Me (with a smile): I don’t know what to do.
Hint Hint: YOU tell me what I can do, then!

Librarian: Well, maybe you can have a games table where a group of them could be occupied at the same time. I understand you are perhaps not very used to this but the librarians are very used to organising activities like this.

I was really thinking: yeah, yeah, yeah. YOU do it then!

Sophie: Yes, we do that. But they still run around.
HINT HINT HINT: yup, we are not stupid. Maybe we cannot control them. But we have thought of the games table, my dear.

Librarian: You just have to keep them occupied.

This librarian reminded me of another librarian I saw at Langley Grammar school.

LIBRARIAN AT LANGLEY GRAMMAR SCHOOL
I was with a theatre company which was doing some drama with students for the whole week. In between the drama sessions, they made use of the time for rehearsals. With the permission of the teacher-in-charge, we were put in several places at different times. The library was one of them.

Librarian to Jeremy (the artistic director of the company):
May I know who asked you to use this place?

Jeremy: hi. We were supposed to be in the conference room but it turned out that it was occupied. I spoke with Mr XXX and he said it was all right for us to be here.

Librarian: Oh. I was not informed. Well, there is nothing I can do about it already, I suppose.
I was really thinking: WAHHHHH….so sarcastic.

Half an hour later.

Librarian: Will you be staying here?

Jeremy: Yes, we will be here until 12.45. That’s when we have a session with the Year 7 class.


Librarian: It’s my break time now.
We were all slow to get this hint.

Jeremy: We’ll be all right here.

Librarian: It’s my break time. I have to close the library.
We were all thinking: Why bother to ask if we are staying?????

Jeremy: Oh. Ok. We will not be staying here then.


BACK AT LEWISHAM LIBRARY
When you are not the parent, the teacher (or the librarian) and just a volunteer, your status just plummets.

Example one:

Sophie to Jordan
: We’ll have to do some reading later.

Jordan: No, we won’t.

Sophie: You have not done any today.

Jordan: No, we won’t.


End of conversation.


Example two:

Me to Ashad
: You guys have fun with this (a card game) now, yeah? Ashad, when I’ve finished this book with Erica, I’ll read with you.

Ashad: I’m not going to read.

Me: Why are you here every Saturday then?

Ashad: Not to read.

Me
(I was actually thinking: It’ll actually be quite heavenly if you are not around. Nice idea.)

End of conversation.


Example three:
The librarian wanted us to give white labels to the kids so that she knows which ones are part of the reading programme.

Me to Ashad: Here is a label for you.

Ashad: What for?

Me: So that you could be identified.

Ashad: But you know me.

Me: The librarians want to know you too.

Ashad: I don’t want to.

Me (trying to be clever): hey, you can stick it anywhere you want. On your arm, on the back of your hand, on your cheek. You can be original.

Ashad: I don’t want to.

Me:
( I was actually thinking: Now I know why your mother looks so tired, you little brat!)

End of conversation.


THE SWEETIES
But all is not lost. There are a few sweet kids. Ben, Jasmine and Erica. Ben and Jasmine are siblings. Amongst the kids, they are the most well-behaved. Says a lot about their parents, actually. Of all the kids, Erica is one of weakest in reading. She is ten but can barely scrape through a book meant for a five-year old. She likes reading alternate lines (usually rhyming ones) with me, so it’s a strategy I will keep to.


ARRGGH...I WILL NOT GIVE UP, I WILL NOT GIVE UP, I WILL NOT GIVE UP
I think the other two volunteers are saying pretty much the same thing. The boys will listen to us someday. The boys will stop running around someday. The boys will start reading someday. Just let us indulge in some wishful thinking,,, Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home