Monday, December 13, 2004

Of letters and a little person who is me

YOU’VE GOT MAIL
Everyday, our mail gets slotted in through the Flat 12 door. Anyone one of us who happens to pick them up would sort the letters and place them in front of the respective room doors. So, whenever we return to our room and see letters lying on the ground in front of our door, we know that we’ve got mail.

These two days, I have received much needed stuff from home and I am a happy woman. After reading my blog and my pathetic collection of songs on my lap-top, my brother has very kindly sent me CDs! He downloaded a good number of songs for me and even bought a Jazz CD (which I am enjoying right now)! Now, I have new songs to listen to. Yay! He also sent me my watch because the strap of my present one has broken.

These things might seem trivial but they bring me much joy. I am so easily contented.

My mother, who does not celebrate Christmas, sent me a Christmas card. I thought she would attach a long letter inside and when I opened up the card, I half-expected a letter to fall out. But no. Instead, I got the shock of my life and jumped when the card started to play Christmas songs. It was a medley. Yes, she sent me a musical Christmas card. I laughed at the card and laughed at myself for being startled. I called her to thank her and she laughed at how I was startled and asked, “Very nice, right???” I think this is her brand of humour.

My colleague who is holidaying in NZ with her son sent me a postcard and I thought that was really sweet. But two days later, I received a gift from her, from NZ too. A pair of woolen gloves, in a very sweet pastel grey. What a sweet gesture!

BEING COMMON
The tips of the soles of my track shoes came off and flapped around on the second day I arrived in London. I used super glue to glue them back and in the last week, other parts threatened to fall off too.

As if protesting against the bad and uneven pavements here, my other pair of casual shoes is falling apart too.

I decided that no matter how hard I have been trying to save money, it’s time to get new shoes. I know of a Clarks factory outlet which is just a bus ride away. So, I went shoe-shopping with high hopes of getting good quality shoes at cheap prices.

When I entered the shop, I was indeed delighted. I don’t usually like shopping but the prices were just wonderful and I looked forward to replacing my two pairs of shoes. One pair for £20, two pairs for £26 and three pairs for £30. People in the store were holding BASKETS of shoes!

The shoes were arranged according to sizes. So, you basically have to go the shelf which indicates your shoe size. If you cannot find a pair you like on the shelf, too bad.

I am a size 5 in Singapore and I headed to the size 5 shelf naturally. I was pleased with the collection there. Lovely. I could take my sweet time trying out all the shoes there. But alas, I later realized that in UK, I’m a size 3.5. So, I moved to the size 3.5 shelf.

Well, it seems half of Uk’s women wear a size 3.5. The selection was at least two times smaller than the size 5 shelf. It’s really not good to be so common. In fact, if you are a size 8, you have at least three shelves to choose from! Who cares if you have big feet? You can have a nice collection of cheap shoes!

Nevertheless, I managed to buy two pairs of Clarks shoes for £26. I am happy.

BEING EXTRAORDINARY
Yes. I am extraordinary in the tube here. Extraordinarily short, that is. The tube can get ridiculously crowded during peak hours and getting squashed together with solemn-looking, tired executives at the end of the day on the tube is not very pleasant.

Of course, you can make it worse by being short. So, there I was, surrounded by a crowd of jacket-donning executives. All I could see were arm-pits, ties or the cover page of newspapers. I was just glad that I was close enough to hold on to the pole. I really did not want my elbows hitting the beer bellies around me.

The air IS fresher up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home