Of names and snow games
25th Feb 2005
A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAMES
I have grown to like my name, Mei Yee, through the years, despite the fact that “Mei” is extremely common. In my primary school textbooks, the Chinese girls were always called “Mei Ling” and I did not like it that there are so many “Mei- somethings” around. But after the angsty teenage years of trying to carve an identity, I feel that my name is perfectly fine.
Here, people know me as “Mei” because it is easier for everyone to remember. Afterall, it has the same pronouciation as the month “May”. I understand if people cannot spell “mei”. But why is it that they don’t even spell it “May”?
I love seeing the different variations of the spelling "Mei". So, far i've seen one "May" The rest would be Mai, Mey, Mia, Maiy. Today, my name was spelt mai chaing. Close. Very close.
TWO GROWN MEN HAVING FUN
Nothing x-rated here. I still want to keep my job, y’know. It snowed very hard last night. I enjoyed the scene tremendously. For half an hour, I just watched people go by.
There were people having mini snow ball fights, just by picking snow from the ground, from cars, from any where snow accumulated. AND… they did not even know each other! Because after the fight , they shook hands, hugged and left in different buses. Of course, they could be friends. But would friends shake hands before they leave? Dunno. Still, it was amazing how they were enjoying themselves.
There was this girl who made an effort to step hard into the snow such that her shoes created imprints in the snow. And she made a heart. From where I was at the top of the block, the heart looked absolutely symmetrical.
Then, there were these two grown men. They came out of the Indian restaurant across the street to take a look at the snow. Probably workers. Maybe one was the boss? One was about 40 plus, the other in his 20s. The younger one picked up some snow, rolled into a small ball and dumped it onto the other man’s head. The game then began and they first stood there, making snow-balls and aiming and lunging them at each other. The older one got a little tired and ran to hide behind a parked car just several steps away. This car was parked at the side of the pavement and for five minutes, it became their playground. They made snow balls from the top of it, chased each other around it, dodged at the sides of it, rested at different parts of it! I wished I had filmed the scene because they were laughing with wild abandon. Hmmm… “wild abandon” could be the wrong words – seem to suggest some love affair. But you don’t often see adults forgetting themselves in front of others. Even I cannot do it. Just play, without bothering that others are looking. The older man then decided to abadon the car and run along the pavement! At a certain point, they ran out of my field of vision. But I knew they would return and I waited. True enough, some seconds later, the older man came running back. They were still laughing but now, both were panting. The older man soon ran out of breath and raised his hands, admitting defeat. The younger one finally dumped a lump on top of his mate's head. I thought this would end but the younger one quickly picked up some ice again and tried to throw it on his friend. This time, the older man ran back into the restaurant. So, now more snow show for me. Joyful abandon.
A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAMES
I have grown to like my name, Mei Yee, through the years, despite the fact that “Mei” is extremely common. In my primary school textbooks, the Chinese girls were always called “Mei Ling” and I did not like it that there are so many “Mei- somethings” around. But after the angsty teenage years of trying to carve an identity, I feel that my name is perfectly fine.
Here, people know me as “Mei” because it is easier for everyone to remember. Afterall, it has the same pronouciation as the month “May”. I understand if people cannot spell “mei”. But why is it that they don’t even spell it “May”?
I love seeing the different variations of the spelling "Mei". So, far i've seen one "May" The rest would be Mai, Mey, Mia, Maiy. Today, my name was spelt mai chaing. Close. Very close.
TWO GROWN MEN HAVING FUN
Nothing x-rated here. I still want to keep my job, y’know. It snowed very hard last night. I enjoyed the scene tremendously. For half an hour, I just watched people go by.
There were people having mini snow ball fights, just by picking snow from the ground, from cars, from any where snow accumulated. AND… they did not even know each other! Because after the fight , they shook hands, hugged and left in different buses. Of course, they could be friends. But would friends shake hands before they leave? Dunno. Still, it was amazing how they were enjoying themselves.
There was this girl who made an effort to step hard into the snow such that her shoes created imprints in the snow. And she made a heart. From where I was at the top of the block, the heart looked absolutely symmetrical.
Then, there were these two grown men. They came out of the Indian restaurant across the street to take a look at the snow. Probably workers. Maybe one was the boss? One was about 40 plus, the other in his 20s. The younger one picked up some snow, rolled into a small ball and dumped it onto the other man’s head. The game then began and they first stood there, making snow-balls and aiming and lunging them at each other. The older one got a little tired and ran to hide behind a parked car just several steps away. This car was parked at the side of the pavement and for five minutes, it became their playground. They made snow balls from the top of it, chased each other around it, dodged at the sides of it, rested at different parts of it! I wished I had filmed the scene because they were laughing with wild abandon. Hmmm… “wild abandon” could be the wrong words – seem to suggest some love affair. But you don’t often see adults forgetting themselves in front of others. Even I cannot do it. Just play, without bothering that others are looking. The older man then decided to abadon the car and run along the pavement! At a certain point, they ran out of my field of vision. But I knew they would return and I waited. True enough, some seconds later, the older man came running back. They were still laughing but now, both were panting. The older man soon ran out of breath and raised his hands, admitting defeat. The younger one finally dumped a lump on top of his mate's head. I thought this would end but the younger one quickly picked up some ice again and tried to throw it on his friend. This time, the older man ran back into the restaurant. So, now more snow show for me. Joyful abandon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home