Friday, October 29, 2004

Debates

26th Oct 2004

CULTURAL DEBATE

Had coffee with Christina, Hanako and Dimitrios after class today. It was a rare occasion because Dimitrios is always rushing somewhere. He holds a full-time job (he teaches Greek at a Language school) and is married. So, whatever free time he has, he would have to divide it between the family, work and study. But it’s mid-term for his school, so he has a little time on his hands. Besides, it’s his “name”day – it was Saint Dimitrios Day. So, he decided to give a treat to us ladies!

As with any international group, we got to talking about out own country and culture again. Dimitrios was the third Greek I’ve met who was aghast at the fact that Singaporeans learn their mother tongue as a second language.

But he was the first one to bring out another point.

“So, who forms the majority?”
“Chinese”
“So, EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN CHINESE!”
“No, that would be unfair to other racial groups” (I wanted to bring in history but decided I could not recall all the details in a second)
“No, that’s a democracy”
“But there would be unrest. Why should a racial group be forced to learn another’s language?”
“Well, you are all forced to learn English as first language anyway!”
“So that we can communicate with other races and no one would be isolated”
“But you lose your own culture”
“……” I was actually tempted to say, “culture changes all the time anyway”

Case-in-point : Singaporeans are really a confused lot. Linguistically superior, culturally in transit.

POLITICAL DEBATE
This was lunch in our kitchen

Giva: y’know. All this news on the US Presidential election in the papers? It’s all so out of proportion that it seems that UK is about to choose one of them too.

Me: Well, it just shows the intricate relationship between the two countries.

Giva: I know but all this has to be in proportion.

Gabriel: But there are too many issues and there just isn’t enough space in the newspapers. Besides, if Bush is elected, there would be a great impact on future military strategies. Already, the Brit boys going to form part of the Black Watch, replacing some if the US guys.

Giva: But people vote for all the wrong reasons anyway. It’s like, I’m pro-abortion, so I’ll vote for this guy.

Gabriel: Again, the media choose to pick on issues. But there are many more worthy issues.

Giva: Sure. But my point is people vote for the wrong reasons. If a bomb lands somewhere in US today and Bush acts a certain way, then people might just vote based on what he has just done and not what he has done in the past.

Gabriel: I think the people who WANT to vote would be well-informed and would not be swayed just because of one action.

Me: But I think people are irrational and have short memories. The most recent events stick. So, whatever the media pick up, that becomes the crux.

Giva: Yes, voting isn’t “REAL” in that sense.

Gabriel: Politics has never been a perfect picture anyway.

Case-in-point: My silence demonstrates the point that I seldom discuss politics with anyone in Singapore. Just not used to doing it.

Good or bad? No answer. Just different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home