Friday, September 03, 2004

Miracles

Have been feeling low these two days. Have not felt like this for quite a number of years. Hmm...what's happening?

People ask me," Are you excited about going to UK?" Don't think I am. Maybe not yet.

Anyway... Fluctuating between feeling low and extremely low, I witnessed small miracles. I am not a religious person. But I consider these my small blessings.

1) My colleagues (whom I think are rather scared or shocked at a different and less responsive me) have been concerned about how I am. It's quite funny how different people react to the same situation. Some have been cautious, some have been acting as if nothing has happened, one is just scared. :)
But I encounter these miracles everyday I come to work. Will miss them much.

2) In this class, all the students turned up for a 0800hrs test without any writing paper. A thousand questions went through my mind. Should I release them for breakfast while I walk (two blocks and a steep slope away) to my room to get some paper? Should I ask them to read the questions first and attempt one particular question for which a template has already been given? Would they cheat? I'm not supposed leave students alone with the question papers. Should I call my colleague to ask him to bring paper to us?

Just as I was about to make a decision, this boy, Khairul, came in. I stared at him, hinting that I was not happy that he was late. Then I smiled and asked, " Would you by any chance have any writing paper?" He non-chalantly said "yah," and whipped out a whole new pad of A4 paper. My miracle. At the end of the test, he was probably disgusted at the fact that his writing pad was 20 pages thinner. But here was a thankful teacher who thought of him as a little, miraculous package!

3) In another class, the students had two hours to complete an assignment. They had a one-hour lesson the day before and all of them had already started typing. So, after repeating my instructions Ihad given the day before, I said, " continue your work."

This boy walked up to me and asked, " Can I hand in now?"

For every 120405 students who procrastinate and hand in last-minute work, there would be this (unpopular?) one who would make my day and hand in work BEFORE the deadline! A miracle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home